2014-02-26

Games Workshop Imperial Guard Commissar

I returned to painting miniatures this New Year's, after a two year break and this Imp Guard Commissar was the first mini I finished this time around. It was also my very first attempt at doing Non-Metallic Metals (NMM). It isn't a painting style I am particularly fond of, as I find that it tends to give a miniature a cartoonish look. This is especially true when the metal is painted as extremely reflective chrome. Nevertheless it is a good idea to be able to do at least basic NMM as it teaches you how reflections act and look. The lessons you learn from NMM will come in very handy when doing True Metallic Metals (TMM).

The NMM armor turned out to my satisfaction, although I could have gone a bit further with the gold highlights. Unfortunately I rushed the metal on the gun a bit, so it didn't turn out quite so well, but overall I'm happy with it.

Another difficulty with this mini was the large areas of black, which is notoriously difficult to highlight without making it look grey (at least for me), but again it turned out more or less how I wanted it to look.

It should also be noted that the red lining of the coat, is one of my few attempts at more advanced blending. In this case I used a technique I've seen called Juicing around the web. It is basically using a very thinned down paint and doing a lot of glazes on top of a darker undercoat, concentrating them more and more on the places that are brightest. It works fairly well, but is quite time-consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment